Monday, October 20, 2008

Aubrey Update...prayer request

Today, I had to take Aubrey in for an ultrasound of her hips. At birth, a pediatrician found that her right hip clicked when he examined her. So, the ultrasound was checking for hip dysplasia which I guess occurs in about 4 in 1000 births. The initial result was that she does have some "looseness" or dislocation in both of her hips. I was told she is not in any pain, but if it is significant enough, she will have to be fitted into a Pavlik harness (a very scary and uncomfortable looking thing) that would not be able to be removed for 6 weeks or so. Please pray that her hips tighten up on their own in the next couple of weeks so we can avoid treatment. I guess the harness is about 90% successful in most cases, but it would be very difficult to see her put through that for 6 weeks. We will be hearing from her pediatrician in a couple of days to find out the specific results of the ultrasound and if we can delay treatment, hoping that she will heal on her own.

7 comments:

Chris said...

Oh, praying that your sweet girl will heal on her own.

Why does it seem that if it isn't one thing it's another?

Good luck with the ultrasound.

Michelle said...

My friend had a little girl (she just turned a year old) who had hip dysplasia. It was a weird looking contraption, but it never seemed to bother the baby at all and she's perfect now. Odd as it may seem, the contraption isn't bad - it's like swaddling. The baby is snug, but not in pain.

If Aubrey does have it, I can give you my friend's number if you'd like. She lives in the area.

Sandy said...

We'll be praying for Aubrey. I hope that she doesn't have to have any treatment.

Hope we can come visit you soon!

Kerry said...

I am going to be saying tons of prayers. Thank GOD she isnt in pain that was the first thing I was thinking about when i started reading this. Please keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

I am glad we had a chance to catch up last night. We are keeping Aubrey and your family in our prayers!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Ahh my friend's daughter had that! No fun! Praying Aubrey doesn't need treatment!

Anonymous said...

We will be praying for Aubrey that everything works out and corrects itself without treatment. I can't wait to stop out and see your little princess.

Melissa